Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Cotswold Way in May

As we are now living in Painswick we are right in the middle of the Cotswold Way, so I've walked the bits in to and out of Painswick with Teasel quite a few times.

According to Wikipedia, The Cotswold Way was officially inaugurated as a National Trail on 24th May 2007. This was my 40th birthday, and also my self imposed deadline for "compleating" the Munros. On discovering this recently Caroline suggested that I might like to try and walk the entire Cotswold Way with Teasel before my next birthday - a little over three weeks hence.

The first of May dawned a beautiful day, so I decided to start my attempt to do the whole thing in May (weather permitting).

Walk 1: Chipping Campden to Broadway


[See the photos on Facebook]

1st May 2013: Teasel and I set off from St James Church (the unofficial start) in Chipping Campden at noon. The route takes you along the High Street and past the Town Hall (the official start) and then out of the village and up to Dover's Hill (230m), with fine views over the Vale of Evesham, and the home to the "Cotswold Olympicks". A perfect place for lunch.

The walk continues along the broad grassy track of The Mile Ride, crosses the A44 at Fish Hill and continues to Broadway Tower (313m), another excellent view point. From there we descended the grassy slopes through fields to arrive in Broadway at 2:24pm.

Walk Distance: 6.4 miles (10.3 km), 2h24m.

If any of my walking friends would like to join me on a subsequent leg do get in touch as I'll be walking fairly frequently in the next few weeks to try and complete the whole thing in May 2013.

Walk 2 is likely to be tomorrow - 3rd May 2013.

No comments: