Thursday, December 1, 2011

Enigmatic Code

For the past few years I've been treating the weekly Enigma puzzles in New Scientist magazine as a programming challenge. I started writing programs to solve the puzzles in Perl (and occasionally C, when speed was all important), but more recently I've been coding up solutions in Python.

Now, I've decided to set up a blog to share programmatic solutions to Enigma puzzles. I opted for a WordPress blog, as I couldn't get Blogger comments to accept pre-formatted code. Whereas WordPress comments let you use HTML <pre> tags.

I aim to add new puzzles (and solutions) as they are published (usually on a Thursday in the UK), and also retroactively add old puzzles that I have coded solutions for, or found from the New Scientist archives on Google Books, as time allows.

If you'd like to join in, please visit the Enigmatic Code blog.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I've added 59 Enigma puzzles (and my code to solve them), consisting of all puzzles published (so far) in 2011, along with some of the early puzzles, which I found on Google Books.

I'll continue to add new puzzles as they are published, as well as historical puzzles as I have time.