Thursday, August 21, 2008

Walk On The Wild (River) Side

On Sunday I did the Sea Mills Circular Walk. Unfortunately the web-site for it only tells you that the leaflet for it is currently out of print.

So I checked out possible routes on the Ordnance Survey site and I've made the following Google Earth path of the route we followed, which is surprisingly rural, despite the fact it is in the middle of a city.

Route: Google Earth | Google Maps

My Perl script that measures the length of Google Earth paths says this route is 4.13 miles long (6.64 km).

We parked at the Combe Dingle car park of Blaise Castle, and the route through the Blaise Castle estate can be varied if you want to do a bit more, or visit the café, toilets, playground or museum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bristol does have an astonshing amount of green threaded through it, you can walk for long, surprisingly rural stretches of it while still remaining recognisably enclosed by the city limits. And many of them join up. Having so many water and rail links is probably a help.

It's something I only really started to appreciate once I acquired a dog, who of course has an keen interest in going for walks as often as you can manage. Was this one dog friendly? I wonder if I could persuade him onto a train to Sea Mills.

Jim said...

Certainly Blaise Castle, Kingsweston Hill and the path by the Trym through Sea Mills are popular places for dogs to take their owners for walks. And I wouldn't have thought there would be any problems along the bank of the Avon. The National Trust may have special dog rules where the route skirts Shirehampton Golf Course (although you could just walk along Shirehampton Road for that bit). There are a few kissing gates along the way. Sea Mills station would certainly make a good start/end point for the walk. Especially as the Severn Beach Line now has more frequent trains on it (and also runs on Sunday).

It's nice that there is so much green stuff in and around Bristol. I'm thinking of maybe walking the Frome Valley Walkway (18 miles from the centre of Bristol to Old Sodbury), if I can persuade Caroline to pick me up at the end of it.

Anonymous said...

The Frome Valley walkway is my most regular dog walk, at least sections are - mostly the stretch from Eastville park to Oldbury court, in various combinations. I didn't realise that you could follow it all the way to the source though, although I rather suspected it would carry on for much further. It's astonishing the variety of wildlife we wander across, and it only makes sense really if there's enough linked riverway running out to less densely populated space.