Sunday, July 6, 2008

Consecutive Chronological Numerals

I realised today, while looking at a shop receipt, that the date today is:

06/07/08

Which means, if I'd been up early enough (or late enough) I could have witnessed the time:

03:04:05 06/07/08

(Although I never know with these things whether I should be observing UTC or local time, and, yes, I am aware that people in the US write their dates as mm/dd/yy, so they can miss opportunities like this almost a month earlier than me. I also tend to use four digit years after all the millennium buggery that went on nearly a decade ago, but none of this works if you do that).

I'm still trying to think of something appropriate to do on:

08:08:08 08/08/08

which will be in the middle of the 30th Anniversary Bristol Balloon Fiesta, so maybe I will be able to get a photo of 8 balloons or something.

I totally forgot about 07:07:07 07/07/07 last year (I was asleep at the time (local time)), and also 06:06:06 06/06/06 (when I was in Scotland polishing off some Munros, but I didn't get up until 6:30am), but at least such patterns are occurring later and later in the day, so I stand more chance of actually being up when they happen.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

If you chose not worry about seconds you could have an extra hour in bed:

04:05 06/06/08

But of course you've missed that too.

Jim said...

Or I could have stayed in bed and waited for:

06/07/08 09:10:11

Of course the order doesn't make any difference when it's all 8's.

Anonymous said...

In response to your question about what to do at 08:08:08 on 08/08/08, I think that that is precisely the time and date at which the Olympics Opening Ceremony is meant to begin in Beijing. Of course, this is according to Chinese, not British time. So, you could turn on your TV and watch it. I plan to do just that. It should be 15:08 where I am... Enjoy it. They say it will be fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think I was right: The ceremony was fabulous and very well thought out. So, what did you finally do at 08:08:08 on that day?

Jim said...

I was at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta on 08/08/08 both at 8:08:08am and 8:08:08pm (localtime = UTC+1). Fortunately Friday was the best weather at the Fiesta this year, and we saw over 100 balloons go up at the evening ascent.

Now I've got just over a year to think up something to do on 09:09:09 09/09/09.

Anonymous said...

Oh good, so you did do something exciting after all. Presumably, the baloons were of the type that carry people, right?

As for 09:09:09 on 09/09/09, well you've got more than a year to think of something. Interestingly enough, all the digits of that particular instant add up to 54 and this number's digits add up to 9! (Forgive me, but being a mathematician is a difficult habit to get rid of, wouldn't you agree?)

Anonymous said...

And pardon me for mispelling 'balloon' (with one 'l'). Normally, I am more careful.