Sunday, May 18, 2008

Griffin AirClick

While I was out buying the Saturday paper yesterday I saw that my local technology shop - CAV - was having a closing down sale. Which of course meant that it was closing down. A bit sad as it was always a handy place for me to buy the odd computer or audio cable, optical media, RJ45 crimp tool, DVD player, etc.

So I popped in and found they were selling off a Griffin AirClick USB for £4. It advertises itself as an RF remote control for iTunes, but as I found out later it's actually a bit more generic than that.

As Macaroni Penguins are entering the 2008 gigging season I figured it might be useful to help me rehearse - I usually have the set list set up in iTunes when I run through songs and play along. Which means lots of running over to the PowerBook to skip backwards to go over some part of (or all of) a song again. I thought I could clip this to my guitar strap and I'd be sorted, so I bought one.

It was slightly disappointing when I got home to find that unlike most stuff I plug into the PowerBook it didn't just work straight away when I plugged it in. Or even when I installed the software from the CD that came with it. It turned out that you need to download version 1.1.1 of the AirClick software from the Griffin website if you want it to work on Tiger or Leopard, so I did that and it started working.

And then I found that not only can it control iTunes, but also a bunch of other useful applications (like iPhoto, DVD Player and Keynote (if I ever need to make a big flashy presentation for some reason)).

It actually turns out that it is easy to tweak a few of the installed files to make the AirClick interact with any application that uses AppleScript [link]. So this morning I hacked up the necessary code to make it work with EyeTV (I might make the files available for download soon, but if you want to encourage me to make them available sooner just leave a comment).

Previously I've done a similar kind of thing using Bluetooth, a mobile phone (thanks cms!) and Romeo but it's nice to have a tiny dedicated remote to make things simple. I guess that's why Apple started bundling them with their computers (although that's IR rather than RF), but until I get a MacBook I'll stick with the AirClick. In fact for £4 I'm rather regretting not getting more than one (although they are listed on Amazon.co.uk for only £12.50).

The only problem I've found with it so far is that the USB receiver dongle is a bit wide and makes it a bit of a squeeze to fit another USB plug in the adjacent socket when it's plugged in. But it comes with a 1m long USB extension cable you can use if you want to plug extra things in, so it's only a minor niggle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that CAV is closing down, it did seem to be a handy choice of cheap kit, whenever I needed something in a hurry.

£4 for a griffin remote sounds like a stunning bargain. Back when I was trying to use my mac mini as a set top box, I paid lots more than that for a Griffin IR USB remote.

I don't think Apple are shipping the remotes with new macs anymore, you have to buy them separately. They're fairly inessential, truth be told, I've used mine about three times since I got it. The best bit is figuring out how to access the invisible battery compartment.

Anonymous said...

Hi did you ever get around to writing a script for airclick and eyetv3

pete

Jim said...

I did get it working to some extend with EyeTV (I may be able to dig out the necessary files if you want).

But I ended up buying a license for Remote Buddy [link] which lets you customise the EyeTV remote to work with other applications, and has a nice UI (and will also let you use other remotes, such as the AirClick too).